Wednesday, October 22, 2014

What I Say: Maybelline Bold Matte by Color Sensational in MAT 4

I've honestly not been a big fan of Maybelline lip products. The last ones that I've tried were the baby lips colors and they surely didn't meet any of my expectations. :( (If  you're curious about that you can read my review here.) Then I received another Maybelline lip product as a gift last holidays (yes, this review is certainly long overdue but I believe this product is still available and it is better late than never, right?), it's  one of their bold matte lipsticks. I was really hoping that this would change my views on Maybelline lip products. If it did or did not succeed on doing that you will know as we go on. ;)


First off, I got mine in the shade MAT 4. It is a warm red with orange undertone. Fear not, for it doesn't make teeth look yellow (Or in my case more yellow, I have problematic teeth. Haha ). This is perfect for Asian skintone. I actually get compliments whenever I wear this. 


Now, the product actually claims to be matte, bold, vibrant, vivid, bright and pigmented, I don't 100% percent agree on that. If this lipstick actually gives full punch of color upon first application, I would, but that's not the case. It actually applies pretty sheer and you have to build it up which can be a good thing and may be preferred by some. Another thing, it is not super matte, I can detect a bit of a sheen but not too much. The good thing about that is it doesn't make your lips look flat and thinner.

Unlike the first one, I have to say I totally agree on their next claim which is about being hydrating. This lipstick definitely is and also feels very nice and comfortable on the lips. But still keep in mind that it is not so moisturizing that it will heal your chapped lips and though it does not emphasize lines and dry patches, they will still be there just not so noticeable so don't put your expectations too high.


When it comes to consistency, it is actually pretty thin. The texture is a bit solid but still smooth and creamy, I guess the honey nectar is doing its job properly. It glides effortlessly but not so evenly. It is nothing that a few blending and patting won't fix though, so you can relax. To further get this on your good side, it also does not bleed and is not streaky.


Moving on to longevity, it lasts for 2-4 hours. After some eating and drinking, it has a tendency to fade unevenly, just like other lipsticks, where the color on the inner part of the lip fades first while the outer part has still more color. It won't look super ugly because there is a bit of a stain left but still the outline of the lips is a bit more pigmented so retouch is definitely a must. And also, don't kiss you're partner while wearing this or else it will be gone in seconds. It does transfer. 

Let's now talk about the packaging which I actually quite like. First of all nothing is written on the cap which means you won't see any writing rubbing off bit by bit in the near future. Next, the brand name is actually engraved on the tube. Then, everything that's on the sticker on the bottom is readable. It also doesn't feel too tacky nor flimsy.


For the ingredients just click the photo below to enlarge.


One last thing, it doesn't have a scent which I happen to prefer. No weird taste, too. Nada. 


All in all, I think this surely is not a bad product and it did improve my views on Maybelline lip products but there's nothing sensational. I mean, I'm glad that I have it but I won't repuchase it over and over again. Also, it is worth 399 Php which I personally think is expensive for a standard matte lipstick. There are tons of other choices that are more pigmented and have a wider color selection for a much cheaper price such as NYX Matte Lipsticks (less than 300), Wet n Wild Megalast (around 115), Jordana Matte Lipsticks (around 100) and the likes. Some of them may be drying but that can be easily solved by applying a balm prior to application. That's the only possible difference that I can see. 

My review ends here. I hope you enjoyed. Thanks for your time. I'll talk to you again very soon. Bye! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment